Using the license key to activate Flussonic Media Server
Flussonic supports two types of activation:
- Online activation. Online license requires Flussonic servers to have Internet access. To activate Flussonic online, get the trial online license on the website.
- Offline activation. When you have a closed network without Internet access as for critical infrastructures, such as airports, ships, use a USB license protected by a Guardant USB key. USB license is specific to a version of Flussonic Media Server. To receive a USB key or discuss other offline activation options, contact the technical support team and sales team at email@example.com.
In this section:
- How to use the online license key.
- How to use the USB license key.
- What you can do without a license key.
Using the online license key
When you first open the web UI Flussonic will ask you to enter the license key that you have received after purchasing the license or requesting a trial license.
You can edit the key in two ways:
- in the
- in the Flussonic UI in the Config > License section
The key looks like so:
To validate the license key, the server must have access to the Internet via HTTP and HTTPS.
Flussonic licensing server doesn't make any requests to your server, so you don't have to whitelist it when limiting access to your server. For correct Flussonic licensing allow outbound connections for HTTP ports 80 and 443 on your server.
Learn more about the activation process on the Activating Flussonic Media Server page.
Binding the license key
Flussonic requires stable connection with the key server to bind the license key.
Migrating the license key to another server
Flussonic validates the license online, so you can move your license to another server if you need to.
To migrate the license key to another server, follow these steps:
- Shut down Flussonic on the first server.
- Launch Flussonic on the new server and enter the license key when you first open the web UI.
Using the USB license key
To use the USB key, you need the following components that you received:
- USB key
- License key starting with
- Activation file
You can also copy or download them in your account.
Use the activation file to run the version of Flussonic Media Server that's stated in the file name. If you need to run several different versions, use several different activation files of the corresponding versions.
Activate the USB license after installing Flussonic as follows:
Without insterting the USB key, run the following command in the terminal:
cp /opt/flussonic/contrib/95-grdnt.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/ && service udev restart
Insert the USB key to the server.
Start Flussonic by running the following command:
service flussonic start
Open the Flussonic web interface in the browser using the
FLUSSONIC-IPis the IP address of the Flussonic server.
On the start page, enter the license key starting with
g4|and administrator username and password that you are going to use. Then click Activate Media Server.
Both login and password must NOT include any of the following characters: @, ;, #, [, \, /, =, $
If the license key is valid, you will see the Config > Settings tab in the Flussonic Admin UI. Click Upload Activation file and select the activation file for the Flussonic version installed on the server. You can find the license key and the activation file in the client area on my.flussonic.com.
Flussonic web interface without a license key
If the license key is invalid or missing, the Flussonic web interface opens in a limited view mode and shows the "no license" page. On this page you can enter the license key or upload the activation file for the USB key.
Without a license key, you will see the Config > Settings and Support pages. With Flussonic Coder on you will also see the Chassis section.