Flussonic Media Server can balance users between several Flussonic Media Server nodes. Load balancing is achieved by redirecting client requests to another, less loaded server in a cluster.
To auto-balance clients in a cluster, we recommend using Flussonic Catena instead of the deprecated IPTV plugin.
You can install and use Catena if you have a Flussonic license. You can install it on a separate machine or together with Flussonic, but in the latter case change the HTTP port in Flussonic configuration to something other than 80 because port 80 is required for Catena.
Catena has two types of load-balancing: pipeline-based and automatic balancing, and the automatic balancing works exactly the same way as the balancing based on the deprecated IPTV plugin. So don’t worry if you never used Catena and are not planning to use its pipeline mechanism.
To auto-balance load in a cluster by using Catena:
- Install Catena separately or to a server with Flussonic.
- If you have installed Catena with Flussonic, change the HTTP port in the Flussonic configuration file (/etc/flussonic/flussonic.conf) and reload the configuration (
service flussonic reload).
- Go to the Catena UI and add servers
- Turn on Autobalancing for each Flussonic server.
- If you had cluster configuration (as was used in earlier Flussonic versions) on the Flussonic servers, remove this configuration.
- To request streams, a сlient devices must use the following URL: